Fading Ad Blog Rotating Header Image

Richmond VA

F.H. Boehling Co. Feeds & Seeds – Richmond, VA

South 18th & East Cary Streets © Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Boehling Family History

The Boehling family history in the United States is relatively short. The first Boehling born in America was Herman Heinrich Anton Boehling in 1850, in Richmond, Virginia. His father, Herman Heinrich Boehling and second wife, Maria Elizabeth Gerling immigrated to America from Alfhausen, Germany. Young Herman married Mary Gertrude Holzgrefe. They had 7 children, the youngest of whom was John Joseph Boehling, whose line this page traces. - Blair Museum & Historical Society

drmb36front

Joe Boehling 1914 Cracker Jack Baseball Card – Blair Museum & Historical Society

drmb34front

1917 Collins-McCarthy Candy Co. Baseball card of Joe Boehling – Blair Museum & Historical Society

Simpson & Tate Produce – Horses & Mules – East Franklin Street Stables & Carriage Houses – Richmond, VA

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Horses & Mules – S.H. Campbell – Hay & Grain – Flour & Feed – 1816 East Franklin – Richmond, VA

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Google Books

Google Books

Google Books

Standard Roadster – Southern Planter – Google Books

Southern Planter – Standard Roadster – Google Books

 

“Fresh Up” with 7-up – The All Family Drink – Richmond, VA – January 2009

On E. Main Street and 22nd in Shockoe Bottom; Richmond, Virginia © Frank H. Jump

circa 1950

9×12”. Great 1950s era sign with family in living room watching Kukla Fran and Ollie on a bw TV. Each is enjoying a bottle of 7-Up. Text at bottom right reads “Buy A Case Today!” – Hakes Collectibles

Close-up of 7-up

Collectible – eBay

Saturday Evening Post 1950

 

Coca-Cola – Richmond, VA

January 2009 © Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Spence-Nunnamaker Warehouse -1909, Albert T. Huntt – 317 N. 17th St – Richmond, VA

© Frank H. Jump

Huntt, born in Richmond and the grandson of one of Richmond’s earliest architects, Otis Manson, practiced in town from 1892 to 1920, designing a host of buildings of every type and in every style. This is his finest surviving commercial design. The fireproof reinforced concrete building has exterior details reminiscent of the Arts and Crafts movement. The facade has massive piers topped by round corbeled arches. Beneath the arches are steel casement windows. The exterior cladding alternates between green and white tile and dark brick.- Society of Architectural Historians

  • On Flickr

C.D. Kenny Co. – Teas, Coffees, Sugars – East Main Street – Tobacco Row – Shockoe Bottom – Richmond, VA

January 2009 © Frank H. Jump

Cornelius Kenny left Ireland in 1849 during the famine as he could not collect rent from his starving tenants. He had been a prosperous farmer in Clare, living at Milford house near Milford. With him came his wife Ellen Sampson and his young family including his son Cornelius David Kenny the founder of C.D.Kenny. They moved to Rochester, Monroe County New York where they had cousins already established. In 1872 Cornelius D Kenny moved to Baltimore Maryland with his wife Clare Semmes Doyle Kenny and their daughters. He set up a highly successful business, a chain of 60 coffee shops all over the Southern states and also in Pennsylvania and Ohio and also a wholesale tea and coffee importers. He died in 1902 and received an obit in the New York Times. - Margaret Gallery (cousin of Kenny).

kenny-obit

The C.D. Kenny Co. was founded by Rochester, N.Y., native C.D. Kenny, who arrived in Baltimore in 1872 and opened a coffee, tea and sugar store at Lexington and Greene streets. He later expanded the business to other local outlets and eventually to Washington, D.C., Richmond, Va., and most of the southern states as well as Pennsylvania and Ohio.Baltimore Sun

UPDATED ON JULY 18, 2013

 

Richmond Wheatpaste – Richmond, VA – January 2009

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Baldwin & Brown Hardware – Lime & [Gypsum?] – Main Street – Richmond, VA

© Frank H. Jump

Richmond, Virginia: the city on the James – Google Books – CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE

CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE – Google Books

© Frank H. Jump

1557 was the telephone number, not the address.

Elsewhere on the Internet:

 

Mooney Building Supply Company – Richmond, VA

© Frank H. Jump

Elsewhere on the Internet: