History of Nom Wah
Nom Wah Tea Parlor first opened at 13-15 Doyers Street back in 1920 as a bakery and a tea parlor. For most of the 20th century, Nom Wah Tea Parlor served as a neighborhood staple offering fresh chinese pasteries, steamed buns, dim sum and tea. After it lost its lease at 15 Doyers in 1968, it moved into a brand new kitchen at 11 Doyers Street and has occupied 11-13 Doyers Street ever since. Nom Wah is most famous for its homemade lotus paste and red bean filling for moon cake during the Chinese autumn festival. It is also famous for its almond cookie. – For more see the Nom Wah Tea Parlor Website!
Here come old flattop, he come moving up slowly…” Come Together, John Lennon
Fudge-filled cookies and crunchy breadsticks. Stella D’oro, Italian for star of gold, instantly conjures images of baked goods in the minds of people throughout the country. For the Kingsbridge factory’s nearby neighbors, its distinctive scripted logo can also trigger memories of batting for the Stella D’oro Little League team, eating in the Stella D’oro restaurant or coming home from school and being carried away by the aroma of the cookies being made.
The company that began in 1930 is likely to end its nearly 80 year run in Kingsbridge when the factory is shut down in October. To its neighbors and the family that can claim the famous fragrance as its legacy, the decades have been about more than just cookies.
Joseph Kresevich, an Italian immigrant, and his wife, Angela Kresevich, opened up their first factory on Bailey Avenue around 1930 (there’s actually no family consensus on the company’s official beginning, though its trucks have that year emblazoned across them).
The Kresevichs moved the plant to its current location on West 237th Street and Broadway around 1950 and also opened up a red-checkered-tablecloth restaurant on the site within the decade. – Riverdale Press
For the best cup of coffee, some great wines and really fun food, check out this great temporary market while it lasts – before someone drops a high-rise on it. Really neat jewelry and clothes too!
- Inhabitat -Brooklyn’s New DeKalb Market is Made from 22 Salvaged Shipping Containers – Exclusive Photos! by Leonel Ponce, 07/25/11
Previously a coffee house for workers where only beer was served in a time when the Teetotalers Movement was having influence in Amsterdam, this establishment is now a restaurant on the quiet and beautiful Kadijkplein, overlooking the National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum).
These coffeehouses were built by employers to keep the working class from drinking too much alcohol. Coupons were handed out to get free coffee when there wasn’t enough work to go around. The only alcohol being served in a Coffeehouse was beer. Many of these Coffeehouses were demolished, but this one at Kadijksplein 4 got squatted in 1986 and saved from destruction. It’s been serving as a restaurant ever since. This is the old entrance. Arne Kuilman – Flickrstream