266 Bath Street, Glasgow. G2 4JP. Tel: 01413315171.
The Griffin 1991.
Designed by architect William Reid in 1903 for publican Duncan Tweedley. The original carved wood frontage is still intact however the original large etched glass windows are not. The interior bar counter has stayed intact as some of the old features including the ceiling.
When Tweedley was in occupancy of this pub it was named The King’s Arms, after the King’s Theatre across the Road.
There has been a pub on this site since 1865 owned by publican John Lawrie, Mr Lawrie was trading as a Wine & Spirit Merchant in the city since the 1840s having pubs in 161-63 Sauchiehall Street, 151 Queen Street, and 16 Howard Street.
Duncan Tweedley took over the business from Martin Wallace in 1891, he had the old premises demolished and a new tenement with a pub on the ground floor erected in 1903.
Another well known publican to hold the licence for the premises was George W Owen. George also owned the Empire Bar, West Nile Street, The Bay Horse and the Garrick.
The Griffin was named after publican William Griffin who occupied the pub during the 1960s and 70s. A new lounge and dining area was later installed and named the Griffin and Griffinette. – Old Glasgow Pubs dot co dot uk
Hertie, Kaufhof, Karstadt, Schocken, Wertheim and: Knopf. In this illustrious line of German, to exclusively Jewish Karstadt department store companies to find the name Knopf may surprise you. But at least until the end of World War II was the Knopf department store chain, founded by three siblings Max Knopf (Karlsruhe), Moritz Knopf (Strasbourg) and Sally Knopf (Freiburg), the three great equals of this industry. Knopf had beside Freiburg not just branch plants in Lörrach, Emmendingen, Offenburg and Schopfheim: A total of more than 50 branches and partner companies in Southern Germany, Switzerland, Alsace and the Saarland, Lorraine and Luxembourg were part of the Knopf empire – and large, magnificent Department stores in major cities such as Karlsruhe, Mannheim, Frankfurt and Strasbourg. – Badische Zeitung
Elsewhere on FAB:
- Brush Up Business with Paint, Paste, Paper & Push – Tribeca, NY – Oct 11th, 2009
- Brush Up Business Revisited – West Broadway, TriBeCa – Jul 29th, 2013
Wylie & Lochhead – Cabinet Makers & Upholsterers – Mitchell Street- Glasgow, Scotland – Marie Anne O’Donnell
Wylie & Lochhead was a household name in 19th-century Glasgow and beyond, for furnishings of artistic design and high quality craftsmanship. Robert Wylie, a hair and feather merchant and upholsterer, and William Lochhead, who worked in his father’s post-hiring, undertaking and cabinetmaking business, were related by marriage, and in 1829 they formed a partnership, opening premises at 164 Trongate in the East End of Glasgow. Their early success was established when they dealt efficiently with corpses during the 1832 cholera epidemic, undertaking being an activity traditionally associated with cabinetmakers. In 1837 they pioneered the introduction of horse-drawn omnibus services to the city from outlying suburbs and towns. By the1850s, they had started manufacturing their own wallpapers and in 1862 opened their own paper-staining factory in Whiteinch. By the 1870s, they were the first of the Glasgow furnishers to specialise in ship and yacht interiors. – Mackintosh Architecture [for more go to- http://bit.ly/1xHAsK6]
Un million dans un verre
si délicieux à l’apéritif
One million in a glass
So delicious as an aperitif.
The slogan alludes to a very popular radio advertising campaign of the 1950s. If you happened to produce a Bartissol cap to the right person (a radio man in disguise) you could win a million centimes. – from Bartolomeo Mecánico’s Roadside Painted Advertisements [www.elve.net/padv/]
Tile-red, amber, amber “hors d’âge”: whatever its style, Bartissol presents aromas packed with Mediterranean sunshine. Created in 1904 by Edmond Bartissol, after the second world war the aperitif obtained Appellation Rivesaltes Contrôlée, making it a feature at the most festive gastronomic events. Perfect neat, on ice, with a slice of orange or lemon. – Pernod Website (France)
Edmond Bartissol was a French politician born on 20 December 1841 in Portel (Aude), and died on 16 August 1916 in Paris .
Civil engineer, he participated in the drilling [of the] Suez Canal in 1866. In 1874, he participated in the railway construction in Spain and Portugal and the construction of the metro Lisbon. He was a member of the Pyrénées-Orientales from 1889 to 1893 sitting with moderate Republicans. Beaten by Jules Pams in 1893, he ran in 1898 in the Aude, where he was narrowly elected and disabled. Became mayor of Fleury-Merogis , he finds a parliamentary seat in the Pyrenees-Orientales from 1902 to 1910 serving in Progressive Republicans .
In 1904 he created the sweet wine that bears his name, Bartissol . – Wikipedia (France)