Wholesale Only – Distributors of Draperies & Upholstery
HARRY CIMMET — From newsboy on the streets to one of the leading merchants of Nanticoke in less than thirty years is the proud record of Harry Cimmet, whose department store is one of the finest examples of its class in Eastern Pennsylvania. From the inception of the business he had gradually enlarged his establishment, in order to take care of the constantly growing trade that has come to him through honest endeavor to please and to give full value to all. His activities in civic affairs, in philanthropic work, in business, financial and fraternal organizations have brought him into intimate contact with his fellow-citizens, to mutual advantage and profit. Of pleasing personality and gifted with a keen intellect, he has gathered to himself a host of friends in the business and social circles of Nanticoke and vicinity, who regard him as a citizen of unusual worth to their community.
Mr. Cimmet is of Austrian parentage, born in Chicago, Illinois, April 15, 1884. His parents were Joseph and Molly Cimmet, both born in Austria, who emigrated to America and first settled in Chicago, later removing to Plymouth, Pennsylvania, thence to Wilkes-Barre. Harry Cimmet was educated in the public schools of Wilkes-Barre and went to work, when ten years of age, as a newsboy after school. At sixteen years of age he began in earnest, entering the clothing establishment of Charles Finberg and Company, in Wilkes-Barre, where he remained for three years, then going to his father, who was conducting a men’s furnishing goods store in Plymouth. He gravitated from this into the wholesale liquor business, establishing himself in Avoca, where he conducted this enterprise for two years. It displeased him and, in 1909 he came to Nanticoke, where he established himself in the business of general merchandise at No. 7 East Main Street. In a short time that place became too cramped for his growing trade and he enlarged the premises to meet the demand. His store later became a complete department enterprise and is now one of the leaders of Nanticoke, with Hoor space twenty-two by two hundred feet. He is one of the most progressive business men of the city, a charter member and immediate Past President Kiwanis International, a director and vice-president of the Miners’ Trust Company of Nanticoke. and actively associated with the Visiting Nurses’ organization and the Association for the Relief of Crippled Children. He attends the Nanticoke Synagogue, and is a member of Temple Israel at Wilkes-Barre. He married, in June, 1906, Dora Morris, daughter of Jacob and Bessie Morris, of Kingston. Their children are: 1. Sylvia, a graduate of Bloomsburg Norman College and now a student at the University of Pennsylvania, where she is preparing for an educational career. 2. Isadore, a graduate of Nanticoke High School, who has entered the University of Pennsylvania, taking the Wharton business course. 3. Harold, student at Nanticoke High School. Mrs. Cimmet is very active in charitable organizations. – Oscar Jewell Harvey. From A history of Wilkes-Barré, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania : from its first beginnings to the present time, including chapters of newly-discovered early Wyoming Valley history, together with many biographical sketches and much genealogical material (Volume v.6). (page 38 of 117)
The Baer & Stegmaier Brewery was opened in 1857 on South Canal Street by a partnership between Charles Stegmaier and his father-in-law, George Baer. It was later called the C. Stegmaier & Son brewery, in 1863 before finaly becoming Stegmaier Brewing Company in 1897.
Between 1910 and 1913 Stegmaier won eight gold medals at expositions in Paris, Brussels and Rome. After prohibition it became one of the largest independent breweries in North America, reaching an output of a half million barrels in 1940. Using a 60-truck fleet and rail services, the distribution areas eventually covered the East Coast from Maine to Florida – a considerable evolution from the days of 1857 when Charles Stegmaier personally delivered each barrel of beer with an express wagon drawn by a husky goat.
The company enjoyed many productive years before closing during long years of slow decline of the local brewers in October, 1974. The Stegmaier label was sold to Lion, Inc. of Wilkes-Barre. The vacated Stegmaier brewery, was purchased for back taxes in 1978, by the City of Wilkes-Barre. The brewhouse structure has been restored as a modern office building, and continues to stand in the center of town as a stately local landmark.
Stegmaier beer is still produced by Lion, Inc., of Wilkes-Barre (The Lion Brewery), and remains one of the firms best selling products. Enjoy a cold, frosty “Steg” and appreciate the history that the Stegmaier Brewing Co. has left behind.
Stegmaier Gold Medal earned its name by winning 8 gold medals at prestigious expositions in Rome, Antwerp, and Vienna between 1911 and 1913.
It continued in operation until 1974, when it merged with the Lion Brewery, also of Wilkes Barre, and facilities were consolidated at Lion’s plant. Lion kept Stegmaier’s brand name and beers in its product line after the merger. – Stegmaier Beer Website
Previously posted on November 2, 2008 – Hotel Sterling – Matinees. There seems to have been no further work done on this building since then.
Wilkes-Barre Clothier – DeMun Sign Co – Boscov’s Boston Store – A Christmas Carol – Fowler, Dick & Walker – Marguerite Dick Obit – April 17, 2011
The Boston Store is on South Main Street, just off Public Square in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Now Boscov’s, it originally opened in 1879, but sold to Boscov after millions of dollars of renovation destroyed by Hurricane Agnes flood in the early seventies.
1879: Fowler, Dick and Walker, three Scottish immigrants, establish a department store in downtown Wilkes-Barre.1911: Solomon Boscov arrives in Reading and begins peddling merchandise in Berks and Lancaster counties. He later opens a store in downtown Reading.
1954: Solomon’s son, Albert Boscov, and son-in-law, Edwin Lakin, join the company and quickly raise sales. They open a second store in 1962.
1950s: The Fowler, Dick & Walker store undergoes a $5 million renovation project that takes nearly 10 years. It includes an expansion to South Franklin Street, the installation of escalators and more floors, and a 1,000-vehicle parking facility.
1972: The store sustains extensive damage when Tropical Storm Agnes causes flooding. The same year, Boscov’s Department Store opens its first store outside of its hometown of Reading.
1980: Boscov’s Department Store expands to Wilkes-Barre, purchasing what is now known as Fowler, Dick & Walker The Boston Store, as well as another store in the Laurel Mall, Hazle Township. The Wilkes-Barre store remains open during the conversion and holds a grand opening the following year – Times Leader
Marguerite Dick | Visit Guest Book
April 17, 2011
Marguerite Dick, 76, of Tunkhannock, formerly of Wilkes-Barre, died Sunday, April 17, 2011, in Mercy Special Care Hospital, Nanticoke. Born in New York City, N.Y., Marguerite was a daughter of the late James H. and Margaret Pezneker Wilson. She grew up in New York City, but resided for most of her adult life in Wilkes-Barre. Marguerite had resided in the Tunkhannock area for the past nine months. She had been employed by TWA, New York, N.Y., for several years. She worked as clerk for Fowler, Dick & Walker, The Boston Store, Wilkes-Barre. She had also been employed by First Eastern Bank, and PNC Bank, Wilkes-Barre branches, American Red Cross, Wilkes-Barre, and Greenwald & Berk Insurance Company, Kingston. Marguerite was an avid bowler. She was an active volunteer for numerous area cancer groups, and was a member of First Church of Christ, Wilkes-Barre. Preceding her in death, in addition to her parents, were husband, Robert Hale Dick; and brother, James Wilson Jr. Surviving are her children, Christopher R. Dick, Brigantine, N.J.; Patricia Ann Wardell and husband John, Tunkhannock, Pa., with whom she resided; Douglas Dick, Mehoopany, Pa.; grandson, Kyle J. Wardell; and brother, Woodrow Wilson, Edwardsville. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday from the Harold C. Snowdon Funeral Home Inc., 140 N. Main Street, Shavertown. Pastor Larry Reed, of the Harvest Assembly Church, Harveys Lake, will officiate. Interment will be made in the Forty Fort Cemetery. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society , 190 Welles St., Suite 118, Forty Fort, PA 18704, or American Lung Association of PA, 71 N. Franklin St., Suite 207, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701. – Times Leader