- Opened September 17, 1913, Architect Edwin P Valkenburgh – Cinema Tour – Alhambra Theatre – Middletown, NY
Middletown Footwear Inc. – Middletowners Sandals – Jacques Levine Women’s Shoes Outlet – Middletown, NY
About Middletown Footwear, Inc.:
A family business based New York, Middletown Footwear, Inc. sells women’s slippers, espadrilles, bridal shoes and evening shoes. Founded in 1936 when Falk Levine created the first Mule, Middletown Footwear imports its products from Spain, France, China, and Hong Kong. In addition to its flagship brand Jacques Levine, Middletown Footwear has a long history of producing private label footwear for luxury brands. – www.jacqueslevine.com
- Hudson Valley Ruins – Ontario & Western Railway Station – Middletown, NY
- Map at Kingly Heirs dot com
- New York Ontario Western Museum – Roscoe, NY
- Ontario & Western Railways – Wikipedia
- O & W Caboose – Ready Made Toys
On March 29, 1957, the last train ran on the 541-mile New York, Ontario & Western Railway/NYO&W. It was the first major railroad to completely abandon its line when a bankruptcy judge ordered it liquidated and remained the largest major railroad liquidation until the Rock Island suffered a similar fate in 1980.
Based in Middletown, N.Y., the New York, Ontario & Western Railway, or “O&W,” was incorporated in 1882 to succeed the bankrupt New York & Oswego Midland Railroad. The railroad’s mainline ran from Weehawken, N.J., in the greater New York City area to Oswego, N.Y., a port city on Lake Ontario. It had branch lines in New York to Kingston, Port Jervis, Utica, and Rome and to Scranton, Pa., where it served anthracite coal mines. South of Cornwall, N.Y., the railroad operated over New York Central’s West Shore Line along the Hudson River via trackage rights to Weehawken, NJ and a ferry connection across the Hudson River to New York City. – Ready Made Toys dot com
Snyder & Fancher Wholesale Grocers
Duluth Imperial Flour
A Short Corporate History Behind the Altec Name:
The Altec and Altec Lansing names have been with us since the mid 1930s.
pre-1924: Western Electric established an engineering group in Chicago, IL to research amplifiers and loudspeakers.
1924: This engineering group was moved to Bell Laboratories in Manhattan, NY.
1928: Western Electric formed Electric Research Products, Inc. (ERPI) to manufacture, install, and service talking picture systems in studios and theatres.
c1936: Western Electric is ordered to divest itself of ERPI. ERPI management founds the Altec (All Technical Services) Service Company. The University Loudspeaker Company is founded in New York to manufacturer loudspeakers and components.
1941: Altec Service Company acquires the Lansing Manufacturing Company and changes its name to Altec Lansing Corporation.
1947: Altec Lansing Corporation acquires Peerless Electrical Products Company.
1949: Altec Lansing Corporation acquires Western Electric Sound Products Division and begins producing Western Electric product lines.
1954: Altec Lansing Corporation founds Newpaths, Inc. to build theatre stereo equipment.
1956: First public trading of Altec’s stock.(? Altec Companies, Inc.)
1959: Ling Electronics, Inc. merges with Altec Companies, Inc. The new company is named Ling-Altec Electronics, Inc. University Sound Products acquired by LTV.
1960: Ling-Altec Electronics, Inc. merges with Dallas, TX based Temco Electronics and Missile Co. to become Ling-Temco Electronics, Inc.
Aug. 1961: Ling-Temco Electronics, Inc. merges with Chance Vought Aircraft of Dallas, TX (the nation’s second oldest continuous producer of military aircraft, founded in 1917) and the name is changed to Ling-Temco-Vought Inc.
1964: While maintaining a majority interest, James Ling started a holding company that established three public companies from his existing operations; LTV Aerospace Corp., LTV Ling Altec, Inc. and LTV Electrosystems (later E-Systems).
1971: Ling-Temco-Vought Inc. spins-off LTV Ling Altec, Inc. The new public company is called the Altec Corporation.
Apr. 1972: Ling-Temco-Vought, Inc., the holding company, becomes the LTV Corporation.
1984: Altec Corporation moves all operations to Oklahoma City, OK while trying to emerge from bankruptcy.
1985: Gulton Industries purchases the assets of Altec Corporation, and renames the company Altec Lansing Corporation.
1986: Gulton Industries is acquired by Mark IV Industries of Buffalo, NY.
1986: Altec Lansing Consumer Products is established in Milford, PA to design, engineer and introduce a new line of home and car high fidelity loudspeakers.
1997: Mark IV Industries announces its intention to sell the Audio Group, including Altec Lansing Corporation.
1998: Greenwich Street Capital Partners of New York City purchases the Mark IV Audio Group, and renames the collected companies the EVI Audio Group. Altec Lansing Corporation becomes a nonentity.
1999: Telex Communications (another Greenwich holding) is merged with the EVI Audio Group.
2000: Altec Lansing Technologies, Inc. of Milford, PA purchases from Telex Communications the worldwide rights to the Altec Lansing brand names and associated trademarks; Altec, Altec Lansing, Lansing, Voice of the Theatre, Voice of the Highway and Duplex.
2002: Altec Lansing Technologies, Inc. launches professional division; Altec Lansing Professional.