I believe this building at 395 Johnson Avenue was originally the home of Max Blumberg’s lumber and millwork business. He emigrated from Russia in the late 1800s and started a sash and door factory on Humboldt St in addition to building apartments. His fortune was wiped out in the business depression of 1907 but he recovered and at some point erected the building on Johnson Street. Blumberg was active in Jewish philanthropies and died at the age of 58 in 1938. His biography is available online at the link:
Another photo of the building is available online at the link
http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0072.htm. This photo shows some interesting architectural details and brickwork on the ends of the building. At the time this picture was taken in 2003, ADAR Imports occupied the building. Now it is apparently used by the Nationwide Chemical Co., Inc., a distributor of specialty cleaning, polishing and sanitation preparations. – Robert Baptista – Colorants Industry History
Previously on FAB:
- Private Label Industrial Maintenance Chemicals – Bushwick, Brooklyn – Aug 18th, 2008
A landmarked family-owned Staten Island lumber company, H.S. Farrell Inc., Port Richmond, is liquidating its inventory to close for business.
“It’s been a very, very very tough decision,” said Thomas Farrell, 48, who runs the Port Richmond enterprise with his father, Robert. His uncle, Donald, who had also operated the business passed away in May 2008.
“This was a couple months in the planning but it was really a few years in the making. The last five, seven, eight years we haven’t been able to sustain a profit,” said Farrell, citing competition from Home Depot, Lowes and the economy.
The company had been in business 120 years.
The family-owned business had built a solid reputation for hard work, customer service, innovation and perseverance through tough economic times.
H.S. Farrell Lumber and Millwork began as the Alvin Conklin Planing Mill in 1888. It was a physically demanding hands-on enterprise exclusively operated by men.
The venture hit its first major milestone in 1912, when Harry Farrell, who was Conklin’s nephew, bought the mill. Two years later, the new owner changed the company name to H.S. Farrell Lumber and Millwork, but it wasn’t until shortly before Farrell’s untimely death, 24 years later, that the business expanded its scope.
Farrell’s widow, Marion, who up until then had been the mill’s bookkeeper, broke tradition and took command of the business. Her action did more than ensure the mill’s continuation; it highlighted the competency of women entrepreneurs and paved the way for her sons, Robert and Donald, to step into the venture.
— Reported by Stephannia Cleaton for Staten Island Advance on March 02, 2009
126 Years Ago Today: Conyngham, Wilkes-Barre coal mine explosion kills twelve workers.
- Historical Coal Mine Disasters in the Anthracite Region – US Department of Labor
Other Pine Sash & Door postings:
Williamsport was once the unofficial lumber capital of the world, but northeastern Pennsylvania also “saw” its share of the lumber industry as well. For many years the Peck Lumber Manufacturing Company contributed heavily to the region’s economy. The operation was begun by Samuel Peck of Massachusetts. – Nepa Newsletter dot com