Will The Real Santini Bros Moving & Storage Company Please Stand Up! – S. Santini – Mayflower – Moving & Storage – Bronx, NY – Fabio Aiosa
Much like the “Ray’s Pizza Original” claims, and other pizza rivalries in Brooklyn & Manhattan – The Santini Brothers Saga is similar – they are the Original Ray’s Pizza of moving and storage. In the October 10th, 1942 edition of The New Yorker magazine, in THE TALK OF THE TOWN section, an article entitled Chaos – By Gardner Botsford & Russell Maloney – the Santini Bros conundrum was humourously addressed.
According to Shorpy,
Fleet truck [above] of Santini Brothers Storage and Warehouse (not to be confused with any other Santinis). The “square” at W 170th St & Jerome Ave in the Bronx was dedicated to the brothers in 1981. The seven brothers were Pasquale, Pietro, Paride, Rinaldo, August Godfrey and Martin who started the business in 1905. Rinaldo was the last to die in 1980.
Previously posted on FAB – Apr 20th, 2010 – Kornblau-Goldblum Supply Co Inc — Robert’s Books & Stationery — Verveelen Place, Bronx
Fudge-filled cookies and crunchy breadsticks. Stella D’oro, Italian for star of gold, instantly conjures images of baked goods in the minds of people throughout the country. For the Kingsbridge factory’s nearby neighbors, its distinctive scripted logo can also trigger memories of batting for the Stella D’oro Little League team, eating in the Stella D’oro restaurant or coming home from school and being carried away by the aroma of the cookies being made.
The company that began in 1930 is likely to end its nearly 80 year run in Kingsbridge when the factory is shut down in October. To its neighbors and the family that can claim the famous fragrance as its legacy, the decades have been about more than just cookies.
Joseph Kresevich, an Italian immigrant, and his wife, Angela Kresevich, opened up their first factory on Bailey Avenue around 1930 (there’s actually no family consensus on the company’s official beginning, though its trucks have that year emblazoned across them).
The Kresevichs moved the plant to its current location on West 237th Street and Broadway around 1950 and also opened up a red-checkered-tablecloth restaurant on the site within the decade. – Riverdale Press