César Jacobs brewery was located on the Olivetenvest in Mechelen, near the old Winketbrug. This brewery (Brasserie Winketpoort) was, in 1900, founded by César Jacobs (1856-1938) in a cooperative with some publicans. This cooperative would hold out until 1906, after César Jacobs tried it on his own. – Mechelen Mapt
The brewery that was once the pride of East London is back. One of the greatest names in British brewing, Truman’s has been a part of London life for almost 350 years. Closed in 1989 during dark days for the brewing industry, we have been working hard to bring Truman’s back to its former glory. (Read the full history here.) – www.trumansbeer.co.uk/about/
Birra Itala Pilsen
[Founded] in 1890, Padua Beer Cappellari recognized in 1916 by Rag. Henry Olivieri. In 1919, after the merger of Cappellari beer with beer Maura, a second factory in Padua, and [with] the input of the partner Giovanni Battista Fridge, the name was changed to Birra Itala Pilsen… History of Italian Beer
Leonetto Cappiello (9. April 1875 in Livorno, Italy – 2. February 1942 in Cannes, France) was an Italian poster artdesigner who lived in Paris. He is now often called ‘the father of modern advertising’ because of his innovation in poster design. The early advertising poster was characterized by a painterly quality as evidenced by early poster artists Jules Chéret, Alfred Choubrac and Hugo D’Alesi. Cappiello, like other young artists, worked in way that was almost the opposite of his predecessors. He was the first poster artist to use bold figures popping out of black backgrounds, a startling contrast to the posters early norm. – Wikipedia
- Tivoli Brewing Company Ghost Sign [Connections] – Sweet Juniper
- American Beauty Macaroni – Dr. Ken Jones
- American Beauty – Panoramio – Avagara
- Tivoli Beer – Panoramio – Avagara
In 1916, the Kansas City Macaroni Company merged with the Denver Macaroni Company and the AMERICAN BEAUTY Pasta Company was formed.
Rocco Sarli, an Italian immigrant, was at the helm. John Vagnino became a part-time owner. During the Great Depression, the company had the single largest geographic distribution of any American pasta brand.
AMERICAN BEAUTY remained in the hands of its two founding families, the Sarlis and the Vagninos through the mid-1960s.
AMERICAN BEAUTY products are manufactured at plant locations in Fresno, California, and St. Louis, Missouri, and its pasta is distributed throughout every state west of the Mississippi River. It is a leading brand in a number of regions.
AMERICAN BEAUTY is part of the New World Pasta family of brands, the leading dry pasta manufacturer in the United States. New World Pasta brands include Ronzoni® Healthy Harvest®, Ronzoni® Smart Taste® and Ronzoni Garden Delight®. – American Beauty Website
- Tivoli-Union Brewery – Buckfifty dot org
The Baer & Stegmaier Brewery was opened in 1857 on South Canal Street by a partnership between Charles Stegmaier and his father-in-law, George Baer. It was later called the C. Stegmaier & Son brewery, in 1863 before finaly becoming Stegmaier Brewing Company in 1897.
Between 1910 and 1913 Stegmaier won eight gold medals at expositions in Paris, Brussels and Rome. After prohibition it became one of the largest independent breweries in North America, reaching an output of a half million barrels in 1940. Using a 60-truck fleet and rail services, the distribution areas eventually covered the East Coast from Maine to Florida – a considerable evolution from the days of 1857 when Charles Stegmaier personally delivered each barrel of beer with an express wagon drawn by a husky goat.
The company enjoyed many productive years before closing during long years of slow decline of the local brewers in October, 1974. The Stegmaier label was sold to Lion, Inc. of Wilkes-Barre. The vacated Stegmaier brewery, was purchased for back taxes in 1978, by the City of Wilkes-Barre. The brewhouse structure has been restored as a modern office building, and continues to stand in the center of town as a stately local landmark.
Stegmaier beer is still produced by Lion, Inc., of Wilkes-Barre (The Lion Brewery), and remains one of the firms best selling products. Enjoy a cold, frosty “Steg” and appreciate the history that the Stegmaier Brewing Co. has left behind.
Stegmaier Gold Medal earned its name by winning 8 gold medals at prestigious expositions in Rome, Antwerp, and Vienna between 1911 and 1913.
It continued in operation until 1974, when it merged with the Lion Brewery, also of Wilkes Barre, and facilities were consolidated at Lion’s plant. Lion kept Stegmaier’s brand name and beers in its product line after the merger. – Stegmaier Beer Website
This sign was vandalized by graffiti and restored. Fortunately Roadside Galore caught it before it was marred.
- Metz Brewery – Wikipedia
- Metz Brothers Brewery – Early Omaha: Gateway to the West – Omaha Public Library Digital Collection
This photograph taken in 1879 shows the Metz Brothers Beer Hall. The Hall was located at 510-512 South 10th Street. The beer was brought to the hall in kegs by horse drawn wagons as seen in the photo. Charles and Fred Metz supplied the beer hall from their brewery established in 1860. The Metz Brothers Brewery was headquartered at 6th & Leavenworth streets and took up nearly a full city block. The main building was a 3-story affair crowned with a large observation deck. The rest of the complex consisted of boiler and engine houses, offices, ice houses, bottling facilities and barns for the horses. The malt house had a storage capacity of 4,000 bushels. Metz Brothers beer was famous for its “flavor, purity, amber, clearness and body” (“Frederick Krug,” p. 9). Unfortunately, the Metz Brothers Brewery did not survive Prohibition. The majority of the land was sold to the Corn Derivatives Company in January 1920.