Fading Ad Blog Rotating Header Image

November, 2012:

Pago Pago – Cantonese Food & Exotic Drinks in a Polynesian Atmosphere – Chicago, IL – April 2009

© Vincenzo Aiosa

© Vincenzo Aiosa

Church Avenue Pawn Shop – Sybil’s Restaurant & Bakery – Veggie Castle – Flatbush, Brooklyn

© Barbara Snow

CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE © Barbara Snow

Young Pocono Stag – NEPA

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Dreater Coal & Lumber – Carbondale, PA

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

126 Years Ago Today: Conyngham, Wilkes-Barre coal mine explosion kills twelve workers.

Carney’s Drugs – Fell Township – Carbondale, PA

© Frank H. Jump

Fell Township, 1845-1970: 125th anniversary celebration, August 14, 15, & 16, 1970 Google Books

Stella d’Oro Restaurant – E. Paul Sayegh Law Offices – Kingsbridge, Bronx NYC

Broadway & W237th Street © Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

© Frank H. Jump

Fudge-filled cookies and crunchy breadsticks. Stella D’oro, Italian for star of gold, instantly conjures images of baked goods in the minds of people throughout the country. For the Kingsbridge factory’s nearby neighbors, its distinctive scripted logo can also trigger memories of batting for the Stella D’oro Little League team, eating in the Stella D’oro restaurant or coming home from school and being carried away by the aroma of the cookies being made.

The company that began in 1930 is likely to end its nearly 80 year run in Kingsbridge when the factory is shut down in October. To its neighbors and the family that can claim the famous fragrance as its legacy, the decades have been about more than just cookies.

Joseph Kresevich, an Italian immigrant, and his wife, Angela Kresevich, opened up their first factory on Bailey Avenue around 1930 (there’s actually no family consensus on the company’s official beginning, though its trucks have that year emblazoned across them).

The Kresevichs moved the plant to its current location on West 237th Street and Broadway around 1950 and also opened up a red-checkered-tablecloth restaurant on the site within the decade. – Riverdale Press

People on Streets – Under Pressure

Washington, DC –  July, 2012 © Frank H. Jump

Chicago, IL –  April, 2009 © Vincenzo Aiosa

Montréal, QB – August 2010 © Frank H. Jump

Washington, DC – July, 2012 © Frank H. Jump

This is our last dance…

Champlain Building – 37 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL

Originally called the Powers Building – Entire floors – Offices & Shops - CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE

© Vincenzo Aiosa

Holabird & Roche have the distinction of designing two buildings in Chicago that eventually bore the same name, the Champlain… [In 1902] the building was built by a consortium of investors on a piece of property that already had a building standing on it. The architectural firm was so good at what they did that their 13-story tower opened for occupancy in December of 1902, just 8 months after demolition had begun on the old building… In 1938 after the Powers name change, the building underwent a “modernization” which stripped the first two floors of their original facades… By 1988 the School of the Art Institute itself was outgrowing their studio building at the museum and purchased the nearby Champlain for additional class and office space. – Design Slinger

Lyon & Healy – Everything Known In Music – Washburn – Chicago, IL

© Vincenzo Aiosa

© Vincenzo Aiosa

From Hubert Pleijsier’s book, Washburn Prewar Instrument Styles: Guitars, Mandolins, Banjos and Ukuleles 1883-1940:

© Hubert Pleijsier – Google Books

Chicago Theatre – Chicago, IL – Vincenzo Aiosa 2009

© Vincenzo Aiosa

© Vincenzo Aiosa

© Vincenzo Aiosa

© Vincenzo Aiosa

© Vincenzo Aiosa