The Hotel Narragansett opened ca. 1902 at this location on Broadway between 93rd and 94th Streets. 1913-14 advertisements in the New York Herald referred to the Hotel as the Bonta-Narragansett (Arthur Knox Bonta, 1861?-1919, proprietor): “Handsomely Furnished Suites of One or More Rooms, with Bath.” - Walter Grutchfield
….the Apollo probably exerted a greater influence upon popular culture than any other entertainment venue in the world. For blacks it was the most important cultural institution–not just the greatest black theatre, but a special place to come of age emotionally, professionally, socially, and politically. Ted Fox, “Showtime at the Apollo”
Hotel Theresa: the Waldorf of Harlem – Trivia-
Fidel Castro and his staff came to New York in 1960 when he was to address the United Nations. They first checked in to the Shelburne Hotel at Lexington Avenue and 37th Street but moved to the Hotel Theresa when the Shelburne demanded $10,000 for alleged damage that included cooking chickens in their rooms. The Theresa was the beneficiary of the worldwide publicity when Nikita Khrushchev, the premier of the Soviet Union; Jawaharlal Nehru, the prime minister of India; and Malcom X, all visited Castro there. Castro’s entourage rented eighty rooms for a total of $800 per day. – Famous Hotels dot org
- Apollo Theatre History – Official Website
10 – 12 South Main (formerly Idlewild Café) A National Historic Building, Charlie King erected this building in 1919, and it was known then as the King Hotel. The hotel served Chinese and American food in the café on the first floor and was the only three story commercial building in Buffalo. It later became the Idlewild Café. It is now in the process of renovation. – Bufflalo Wyoming dot com
Hotel Harmony – Where Living Is A Pleasure [Single?] & Double Rooms Permanent Transient
The Manhattan telephone directory indicates that the building became the Hotel Harmony in 1935. The new owners apparently named the hotel after the wealthy real estate developer, William E. Harmon. The “late William E. Harmon” was mentioned in 1929 as one of the donors who contributed to the original funding for the Explorers’ Club. – Walter Grutchfield
One of the many white Americans who expressed his interest in the artistic achievements of black Americans during the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920′s, was Caucasion real estate developer, William E. Harmon (1862-1928). In 1922 he established the Harmon Foundation in New York City to recognize African American achievements, not only in the fine arts but also in business, education, farming, literature, music, race relations, religious service and science.
In 1944 the Harmon Foundation, then under the direction of Mary Beattie Brady, organized an exhibition “Portraits of Outstanding Americans of Negro Origin,” with the express goal of reversing racial intolerance, ignorance and bigotry by illustrating the accomplishments of contemporary African Americans. Including twenty-three portraits created by both a black and a white artist–Laura Wheeler Waring (1887-1948) and Betsy Graves Reyneau (1888-1964)–the exhibition premiered at the Smithsonian Institution on May 2 and then travelled around the United States for the next ten years. Other portraits were added to the tour during that time. – National Portrait Gallery – Smithsonian Institute
CLICK FOR LINK OF ARCHIVAL DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE HARMON FOUNDATION
Also on Walter Grutchfield‘s phenomenal website!